Tuesday 24 April 2018

Cancer Quilt




February 2017 I was diagnosed with Type 2 Ductal Carcinoma.  Definitely changed me life.  Just before I started chemo, I completed this quilt.  Had done the log cabin squares before my surgery and my girlfriend Carol sent me 8 blocks that she made (the more complicated blocks) - lol.  Put a soft backing on the quilt and quilted it using a double heart pattern, which came from one of the blocks. Is a lap size quilt.  It was definitely used a lot during my surgery and treatments as I spent a lot of time in my recliner. 

Lump was found during my annual mammogram - so YES, mammograms do save lives!  But what turned out what I thought would be a simple lumpectomy and radiation turned into a lot more.  The cancer had started to spread and was very aggressive, so needed not only the surgery (lump and lymph nodes), but also 4 months of chemotherapy, one month of radiation and a full year of Herceptin treatment (every 3 weeks).  Still not finished all my treatments - end of June 2018 will be done and looking forward to it.  Hoping movement and strength will come back to my arm as it is still very painful.  Who would have thought that it would take over a year to recover from a surgery.

I am still having problems when it comes to using my rotary cutter so my quilting has been limited this last year.  Looking forward to when I will be able to do it all again.  In the meantime, I think my husband has to learn how to use the rotary cutter :) 

My wish is that no one will have to go through the journey I have been on.

No comments:

Post a Comment