Wednesday 29 April 2020

Fat Quarter Baskets





These were fun baskets to make.  Made the first one (batik squares) according to a post on Pinterest.  Used regular batting and found the basket didn't have enough form.  The second one I did with batik strips and used a stiffer interfacing instead of batting.  Worked much better.  Also did the edging around the top different.  Used the same technique for what I do for quilt bindings instead of using the lining.  That way I did not have to turn the basket inside out.  Liked the finish look better and the stiffer interfacing worked really well.  The next two where made out of fat quarters.  Sometimes the fat quarters are not all cut the same :)  There are some minor measurement differences.  So I cut the largest bag I could out of them, only varied by an inch at the most.  As long as you cut 6" squares out of the quarters, it works.  I guess you could cut a smaller square and get a slightly different shaped bag.  I like the size of the 6" ones.   They hold fat quarters really well.  

I am saving the 6" squares that I cut out for these baskets and will make a scrap quilt out of them.  Need to make a lot more baskets for that to happen!  Maybe it will just be a doll quilt :)

Sewing these during Covid-19.  I am blessed to have such a large stash so I don't need to worry about buying fabric.  Did have to get some more thread as I was running low on that.  Using up all those partial spools when it doesn't matter what color you use.  Won't be able to sew too many more of these baskets as running low on the interfacing.  Showed them to my daughter and now I am missing a basket!  

No comments:

Post a Comment